Cubmasters and Committee Chairs,
Can you believe it! We are 2 weeks away from school starting again! For those of you who do not know me, my name is Todd Sivia and I have been appointed as the Membership Chair for Cahokia Mounds District. I am an Eagle Scout and was a fellow Cubmaster. I understand the demands on all of you to recruit new scouts. I am excited to work with you and try to increase your memberships. The District has placed a huge goal on me, which is increase the number of Scouts by 15% (750 new Scouts) and maintain a 90% retention. This means that recruitment needs to be planned ahead of time.
I am requesting that you take the following steps today:
- Form a committee for recruitment.
- Get permission at each school building to have people working at registration
- Assign shifts to those that can work school registration, if applicable (I know Highland has online registration, but if there is walk-in registration that day needs to be maned)
- Contact me and let me know who from the Pack I can get flyers to for Fall Recruitment for School Registration.
- We will also need a date for a community wide recruitment day. We ask that you work with other packs in the area to coordinate that date, time, and place.
Please note that if you have not selected your date, time, and place for your recruitment by July 15 and emailed to me, the district will select a date, time, and place for your recruitment date. On the community wide recruitment date, we ask that your calendar for the fall be completed with specific dates and time for meetings and dates and times of your den meetings. If you need assistance with that, please do not hesitate to reach out to me or Kevin Buhr at Kevin.Buhr@scouting.org.
As part of recruitment, there are Scouts that your group views as “At-Risk” to losing because of sports or other activities that the Scout is involved with. The biggest cause of lost Scouts is sports. We ask that you reach out to those individuals within the next 2 weeks and invite them to the community recruitment night or invite them to attend another Pack Meeting in the community. Remember Scouting has no borders or territories, our main goal is recruiting children to participate in Scouting and becoming our future leaders. I ask that you send me a list of those individuals as well. We want every Scout parent to know and realize that there are multiple Packs in the area and that if Soccer/Baseball/Hockey is conflicting with Scouts that there are other Packs available for the child to join.
Todd W. Sivia